Friday, July 15, 2005

Celebrations

Well, today is my last day of work. It feels strange. It probably won't hit me until Monday morning, when I wake up at 7:30 a.m. only to remember that I have no place to go but back to sleep. I wonder how I'll respond to that. Will I feel liberated? I guess I'll find out!

Of course, the celebrations continue. I went out last night with a colleague for dinner at Asia de Cuba and from there we went to the Redwood Room. Both are in the same hotel. The Redwood Room is a total scene. There was a guy wearing sunglasses, straight girls touching each other provacatively so that the men in the room would give them some attention, and a whole lot of attitude being thrown around. Yeah, it was that ridiculous.

We finally got out of there and went to another bar. I was wearing my Yale t-shirt and some woman asked me if I went there. I told her I was going to go there. The rest of the conversation went like this:

WOMAN: What are you going to study?

ME: I'm getting my MBA.

WOMAN: Well, you're not going to get a practical education at Yale.

ME: That's good because I want a theoretical education. Concepts last longer than practices that may well be out-dated in 5, 10 or 15 years.

WOMAN: Well, it's no Harvard.

ME: Thank God for that. I didn't want to go to Harvard, Wharton, or any other school. Yale was the right choice for me.

WOMAN: So you didn't even apply to Wharton?

ME: No.

-SILENCE-

ME: So where did you get your MBA?

WOMAN: Oh, I don't have one.

I didn't have anything more to say to her at that point. She was clearly an expert on the subject. What could I possibly add to her arsenal of first-hand knowledge of business schools? I had to walk away.

My colleague and I ended up staying out until 2 a.m. Tonight, I'm going out with a friend of mine to celebrate my last day of work. Tomorrow, my little brother and his wife roll into town for a night of revelry. And on Sunday, another friend is coming over and we'll probably hit some bars.

I think I'll need to stock up on the multivitamins, eh, KV?

5 Comments:

Blogger KV said...

LOL!!
Yeah go to Costco they have good deals on vitamins :-)

Friday, July 15, 2005 4:19:00 PM  
Blogger KV said...

Don't forget a bottle of water as well ;-)

Friday, July 15, 2005 4:19:00 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

If you were an Indian, people wud drool at you if they saw the Yale T-shirt. Yale has a very strong brand presence here.

Well, they still ask me...what was that school..."Duke"..ah..where's that? NC, i mean North Carolina...Is it close to NY? hmm...no, it's close to washington! :-)

Saturday, July 16, 2005 1:26:00 AM  
Blogger Jerry Blank said...

atta girl - Yale makes people drool in the U.S., too. (As does Duke!) The woman I spoke to that night seemed to feel that only Harvard and Wharton were worth attending for one's MBA. That she never went to business school made me wonder how she could speak with any authority on the matter. It seemed to me that she was parroting what she had heard from someone else - someone status-obsessed.

Saturday, July 16, 2005 3:27:00 PM  
Blogger Keven said...

That would make a good t-shirt

"Yale SOM - Well, it's no Harvard"

And then a picture of the President underneath. :-)

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 10:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home