Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Feeling Official

I received my first university bill yesterday. More than the offer of admission, the payment of my deposit, and the activation of my email address, getting an account statement in the mail made me feel like a student of Yale University.

In the same envelope came information about Tuition Insurance. I never even knew such a thing existed. For ~$200 per term, you can get 90% of your tuition returned to you if something happens that forces you to withdraw from school. That "something" has to be an emotional/medical condition (up to and including your death, but not your suicide). Drug use, acts of war, rioting, and laziness in general are excluded.

Also in the envelope (and in my Yale inbox) was information about the Yale charge account. Basically, you can use your student ID card to charge up to $1000 per term at the Yale bookstore. Whatever you charge is billed at the beginning of the following month and payment is due by the end of that month. If your payment is late, you are charged a $110 fee regardless of the actual amount of your charges. Ouch! I think I'll pay for things the good old fashioned way, thank you very much.

3 Comments:

Blogger KV said...

$110? Are you kidding me???? What a ripoff!!!

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 3:12:00 PM  
Blogger Jerry Blank said...

Yeah. But I'm sure it keeps people paying on time and people like me from signing up for the privilege. (You have to fill out a form agreeing to the terms.)

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 4:32:00 PM  
Blogger Paa"ji" said...

JB, Trust me the old fashioned way is the best......and at least they make you sign papers. Last year I was ripped of a 4 figure amount by AOL, coz my bank kept on paying them while I was out of the country(and I had not left any money with the bank before leaving)......The reason the bank gave me was that they did not want their clients to get a bad name.....They were charging me 45 bucks upfront and 5 bucks a day for overdraft.......now I am a firm believer in the old fashioned approach of writting cheques

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 6:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home