Thursday, July 14, 2005

Breaking Up Is ______ To Do

Hard. When my relationship of 4.5 years ended two months ago, I responded by allowing myself to feel victimized. I did everything right. My partner did everything wrong - terribly wrong - and I found it frighteningly easy to absolve myself of blame. Fortunately, I had friends who encouraged me to look at the relationship more objectively and to think more seriously about my role in its demise. After a great deal of soul-searching, I was able to determine where it was that I went wrong.

One of my best qualities is also one of my worst: I see the potential in people. You may show me who you are, but I tend to look past that. I look to the person I know you can be. My partner, who I often suspected of half-truths, exaggerations, and outright lies, was fundamentally honest from the very beginning. I need to learn how to weigh what a person is cabable of delivering now against what they can deliver later. Until I learn how to do this, I should probably not become involved in another relationship.

Easy. Over the last month or so, I decided on another break-up, this one with the B-School Forum on businessweek.com. I came to this decision when I looked back on the time I spent applying to business schools and the resources I used when going through the process. The Forum, I realized, was of precious little value. Arguing the existence of the M7, reading posts from people who had axes to grind with particular schools, and feeling anxious about my prospects after reading what admissions consultants had to say to people with similar profiles, I spent countless hours worried by, annoyed with, and disgusted by what I read. I found Wharton's S2S Forum to be of much greater value - and I didn't even apply there!

I will waste no more of my valuable time on businessweek's B-School Forum.

Necessary. I feel as though I've spent the last several months cleaning house - in more ways than those listed above. Someone once said, "No one can make a brand new start, but anyone can start from here and make a brand new end." Here's to new - and happier - endings.

4 Comments:

Blogger Thomas J. Brown said...

A really nice post.

Thursday, July 14, 2005 2:43:00 PM  
Blogger Keven said...

I'm with Thomas. Good post.

Thursday, July 14, 2005 9:57:00 PM  
Blogger Paa"ji" said...

JB,
Trust me that good quality will pay you well in life, very few people can actually realize the potential of others, but you have to be cautious coz a lot of these people will use you to thier good.....but at the end of the day it will be you....knowing that whatever you did was right in your own way

and yes I am all with Thomas and Keven ..... Great Post

Friday, July 15, 2005 1:28:00 PM  
Blogger Jerry Blank said...

Thanks, guys.

Friday, July 15, 2005 2:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home