Friday, April 08, 2005

Fear of Flying

Here we go. The sleepless nights, the anxiety. My overactive imagination playing the short film starring yours truly in an accident aboard an airplane, followed by the news real describing how the tragic events unfolded. It never used to be like this.

As a child, I loved to fly. My parents were divorced when I was five, and my mother remarried shortly thereafter. She also moved to the other side of the country. I remember how excited I used to be to get on an airplane. Even in college, if I had a choice between driving and flying, I would always choose flying.

Then what happened? I don't know. It wasn't a bad flying experience, e.g., turbulence. I think I just started to realize how precious life is. Also, as I grew older, I found myself uncomfortable with the idea of not having any control. At 30,000 feet, what can I do? Nothing.

I have to fly to New York this weekend for my Yale interview. I have thought of every conceivable way around it. What if I made up some excuse as to why I can't go? What if I took a train, or drove? Then I chide myself for my foolishness.

I feel so ashamed of my fear. I have tried to work through it, but can't.

Apparently, one in six Americans has this fear. Most of them - us - get on airplanes because we have to. I don't want this fear to prevent me from experiencing life. But it has in the past. Not always - or even usually - but sometimes.

A life lived in fear is a life half-lived. So I will board that plane for New York and put my faith in God.

I will try to publish something on my interview at Yale while I am in NY (if I make it there, lol).

Happy trails!

5 Comments:

Blogger Tanya said...

:-) I'm vacating my space at yale. You can take my spot!!

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 10:20:00 AM  
Blogger Jerry Blank said...

LOL! If not Yale, where? I read your blog and couldn't find any reference to a decision. Did Tuck come through for you?

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 5:17:00 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

I'm a R1 Fuqua (Duke) admit. It's Fuqua ! :-)

No idea when will Tuck get movin on the W/L.

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 9:05:00 PM  
Blogger Jerry Blank said...

You are going to be THRILLED with your choice. The boyfriend of a girlfriend of mine goes there and he loves it. Plus, you'll get to hang with Simba! (That is, if he doesn't get the last-minute nod from Wharton and you from Tuck, which could create an interesting change in both your plans! :-)

I'm a little bummed that we won't be classmates. Duke is very lucky to have you.

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 9:28:00 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

LOL!!! Simba is a girl! She's also a very good friend of mine :-)

Yeah you're right! The intensity and passion at Fuqua is infectious! I have met an awesome bunch of people and I'm just too sold on this school..!

Hope you get Yale and all the goodies that come along! LOL!! Yale has it's own old-world-charm! Good Luck for your interview. I'll look forward to your interview post! :-)

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 9:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home