Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Chutzpah?

I received the following email from Oxford this morning:

I hope you will not mind me contacting you with an invitation to attend our imminent Saïd Business School Information event, to be held on the 14th April at the Google Headquarters in Mountain View. I realise that you may have already have attended an event, have applied to the course, and may even have a place - however we did not want you to miss this opportunity to familiarise yourself further with the Saïd Business School and the programmes we offer, and to meet with MBA and other Oxford Alumni.

Let me get this straight: The school rejects me (based solely on my lackluster performance at the interview) then asks me to make it look more popular by taking up a seat at its info session at Google?

The school wants me to give it something in return for nothing, or am I looking at this a bit too cynically?

I would like to ask about reapplication procedures (should Yale decide to reject me, leaving me with the ding I am expecting from Harvard and no options until the following year), but this is not an “opportunity” for me. It’s an opportunity for the school.

Maybe I can make a deal with Oxford: Offer me a place and I’ll attend your info session. LOL! No, no, no. They don’t need me. They’ve made that abundantly clear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home