Saturday, April 16, 2005

My Week In New York

I returned home today after a wonderful week in New York.

After my interview on Monday, I went to dinner with some friends. We went to Cafe Gitane, a French/Moroccan restaurant. I got the ground beef and mashed potatoes plate. Sooooooo good. And not at all expensive.

On Tuesday, I went to Magnolia in the West Village and picked up a muffin. From there, I wandered over to the Meat-Packing District to meet a friend. I waited for her in a department store called Jeffrey. If you ever have $300 to blow on something completely worthless, you can do it at this store buying a vintage (i.e, tattered and thread-bare) T-shirt. I then went to Chelsea Market. There was a store there called Portico that had some very nice housewares. I then made my way to Midtown and walked up and down 5th Avenue. Bored with seeing all the same chain stores we have in San Francisco (Zara and H&M excepted), I headed to where I was staying . . . with some friends in the East Village. We went to dinner at Lavagna - yummy Italian food - and then hit some bars on the lower East Side.

Wednesday was spent in Soho.

On Thursday, I was on my own so I went to the Met and saw some of the museum's permanent collection. I then had dinner-for-one at Mama Mexicana in the West Village. Not bad. But I spent $35 on a burrito, tortilla chips, and guacamole. I usually spend $8 for the same meal in San Francisco and it's twice as good. I then hit some bars in the Village. I stumbled upon a piano bar, the name of which escapes me. But it was lovely, sipping a beer and listening to Kathy (the chanteuse) sing a wide variety of songs, all with a sappy love theme.

On Friday, I met up with a friend in Soho. We had a late lunch at Le Pain Quotidien and did some window shopping before heading out to a bar in Brooklyn and then - and this was interesting - to a predominately lesbian bar at 2nd and 2nd called "Hole". The Hole was great! The DJ played everything from Depeche Mode to Jefferson Starship. The vibe was refreshingly unpretentious. Regardless of your sexual orientation, if you're in New York, you should check out this bar.

And that was my week! The one thing I love about New York is that you can talk to anyone. Most everyone is helpful and friendly. They don't approach you from a place of distrust, the way San Franciscans do. I already miss that.

A note about H&M: What the f#*k happened?! It used to be that you could get 10 pairs of pants and 5 shirts for $150. Granted, the quality was crap. But that was part of the charm. You didn't mind spending ten dollars on a shirt you would only ever wear four or five times, usually at bars/clubs. When I was at H&M on Monday, I was disappointed to see the store selling its clothing at Banana Republic prices, even though the workmanship was as shoddy as ever. There is an H&M opening in SF soon. I wonder how long it will last?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home