Thursday, April 13, 2006

Trickle Down Senioritis

This sucks. I'm just now developing friendships with second years and in three short weeks they'll be gone.

Many of the second years have already "checked out." There's a bit of a trickle down effect happening, as I have recently become VERY uninspired to do work. This lack of motivation is a problem. The solution is to make one last big push to get me through the next three weeks. Easier said than done, I'm afraid.

Fortunately, and unfortunately, I have a new game theory professor. From my previous posts, you're probably aware that I find Econ difficult. Well, this class is like Econ on steroids. Spatial pricing?! Are you kidding me?! Worse, the professor goes way too fast. He's also an expert cold-caller. A few people in today's class made an effort to situate themselves so that it would be difficult for him to spot them. He not only found them but he seemed to call on them more than anyone else. So I have no choice. I'll have to buckle down and do the work. I need to understand it completely so that I don't make a complete ass out of my self in class.

And if my pride doesn't motivate me, nothing will.

3 Comments:

Blogger brownoski said...

Is it possible to get senioritis from a P/NP system? I would think people would get infected Welcome Week of their first year!

Thursday, April 13, 2006 6:07:00 PM  
Blogger i_will_make_it said...

You can do it, Jerry! Show them what spatial pricing is made of! (Though, I still have no clue what that is. hehe.)

Wow. You and UCLA have some issues, eh? ;-) Thanks for your input. I also believe a strong alumni network is important. Your MBA program only last 2 years, but being an alumni is for the rest of your life. Having the alumni connection to expand your network may not seem so important now, but 10 years down the line a fellow alum may offer you the chance for your next big career move. Who knows? Cheers! :-)

Friday, April 14, 2006 1:25:00 PM  
Blogger Jerry Blank said...

brownoski - LOL. Yeah, tell me if you have senioritis about three weeks into your first year of business school. The grading system has nothing to do with how hard people work. At all of the schools you applied to, people want to do well for themselves, to master as much of the material as they can. They are intrinsically motivated. Hear me now and believe me later: You will work your butt off. At least, or so it would seem, until the last few weeks of your second year. :)

iwillmakeit - Thanks! Yeah, I met with someone today to help me get a handle on it. And my study group from the first semester has decided to start meeting again just to go over game theory. The pricing section is certainly going to be the most challenging part of the class.

Can't wait to learn of your decision!

Friday, April 14, 2006 1:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home