Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The Internship Fund Auction

Two weeks ago, the Internship Fund held its annual live auction. Up for bid were a used car, autographed Britney Spears pictures, a Sleazy Bar Tour, and other items donated by students. The theme was Mission: Possible and students in attendance were encouraged to dress as spies.

The entire event was very well done. The food was great and the drinks were plentiful. Classmates walking around with pitchers of beer ensured that everyone’s cup was full throughout the auction. In the beginning, this was great! By the end, it was even great-er!!! Heavily intoxicated, a good number of us ceased to exercise good judgment and started bidding ridiculous amounts of money. I ended up in a bidding war for an item that I didn’t even want! But it was fun, and I was feeling generous. The item ended up going to another bidder for almost four times more than it would have fetched had I not been so determined to purchase it. That’s a few extra dollars in the pocket of a non-profit intern this summer. So in some small way, I feel as though I did my part.

The night ended in a very unexpected way, however, as the event was also framed as a cohort competition. Knowing that the reduction in class size next year would result in the elimination of one of the cohorts, someone had the bright idea to make this event the one that would determine which of the four cohorts – Blue, Gold, Green, or Silver – would not be coming back. At the end of the night, Blue and Gold were battling it out for a single item, a stuffed squirrel of some strange significance to the school. Whichever cohort won the item would be saved from extinction. Things got pretty heated. Ultimately, Blue, which has never won a cohort competition - in fact, it usually places dead last - was declared the winning bidder. All for the low, low price of $4600. Watching the traditionally apathetic first-year Blues come together with the second-year Blues to ensure a Blue victory was an unusual sight, indeed. I never knew Blue pride ran so deep. I guess it does for all cohorts. Curious how a simple color can represent so much.

In sum, the night was a big success for the Internship Fund. And I’m looking forward to next year’s event.

P.S. The fund put together a hilarious video to promote the live auction. I wish it were available online, but alas. . . .

3 Comments:

Blogger brownoski said...

I'm pretty set on Yale, but all three of my potential schools are great and I really would be happy at any one of them. I'm planning to spend Saturday afternoon looking for apts. Do you have any suggestions on neighborhoods to focus on?

BTW, I'm gonna be in New Haven on Thurs night (welcome weekend eve), do you want to meet up with me and possible other '08ers to explore the night life around campus?

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 12:27:00 AM  
Blogger Jerry Blank said...

Sure! I think there's a SOM party happening that night, so maybe we could do that, too.

Email me at flatpointmba@yahoo.com and we'll work out the details.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 12:19:00 PM  
Blogger i_will_make_it said...

And you won that Britney Spears picture for me, right? :-) j/k. Which color cohort are you in? Hopefully you guys are still in the game too!

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 5:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home