Friday, February 24, 2006

The Internship Fund

I decided to delete my original post and feature this comment instead. It was written by someone called GoldStandard – apparently, a student here at SOM who is in the Gold cohort.

My original post on the Internship Fund detailed events as they were (partly) witnessed and (partly) reported. I like what this person has to say; that is, I much prefer his/her interpretation. Is it true? Well . . . I don’t know. I have now heard so many different accounts of what happened that night that I can honestly say I have no idea. But GoldStandard seems to bring everything together nicely, which leads me to believe that his/her version is probably the most accurate.

GoldStandard: Thank you! But the “crying” line? Not necessary.

"That's just hilarious j.b. You seem to have only half of the story... but I guess you can be wrong and still blog about anything.

The fact of the matter is that Gold actually won in the last seconds because two people - that's right, just two people - wrote very large checks to put Gold over the top. Keep in mind that these checks would not have been as large if it was just a regular donation process - but the spirit of the fund and the competition fostered these actions. You see, competition can be a good thing sometimes. There is no possible way there would have been more money raised, but I doubt you were even there to know that. In the end there was so much money being donated by all cohorts, it was impressive… and this was after the “secret money” was publicly donated.

The half of the story you had somewhat right is that a small group of Gold students pooled their money to gain a strategic edge. The rest of the cohort was not involved so that donations would actually be recognized to keep everyone – in all cohorts – giving.

Regardless of this small pool of funds, Gold was still too far behind. The “secret” money was given well in advance of the deadline and others were well aware of this. In the final seconds, as other cohorts were throwing down money to garner the win – Gold was the cohort that stepped up and knew what it took to win. While other cohorts tried to lowball their final donations to just squeak by, Gold went over and above to guarantee a win - it always does.

Stop crying and do something about it next time."