Sunday, August 28, 2005

Orientation Is Over

The second week of orientation began with us breaking up into large groups and doing a case study together. We spent the weekend between the first and second weeks of orientation prepping – reading the case and answering questions – so that when we met up on Monday we would be able to participate in the professor-led discussion at the beginning of the day. We were then divided up into smaller groups and asked to focus on a particular issue. My team was tasked with answering the Economics questions - demand and competitive advantage. We were given an hour-and-a-half to work on the questions, but my team wanted extra time and decided to work through the lunch hour. My team was comprised entirely of shepherds. And yet, we got along very well. Everybody managed to take on a different leadership role. I served as the group’s secretary, typing our responses. This meant that I also had to keep the group on track, reminding my team mates of how much time we had remaining and calling upon them to synthesize their ideas into answers suitable for presenting. When we were finished, we met up again as a larger group and gave our presentations. It was a great introduction to case studies. Afterwards, we had wine and cheese with faculty in the courtyard.

On Tuesday, we went to the Yale Center for British Art and performed an exercise whereby we were each asked to describe certain aspects of a painting without interpreting what we were seeing. This was nearly impossible. Afterwards, we went to the gym to compete against other cohorts in events ranging from bacci ball to basketball. I believe this was intended to develop cohort pride. A few of my classmates, however, wound up with sprains. And one cohort was a little too competitive, which most of felt was not in spirit with the event or the school. I hope the school reconsiders its approach to this event next year. Afterwards, we went for a picnic at a local beach and had barbecue. It was a very civilized way to end the day.

Wednesday was spent with the CDO, looking at our resumes and going through the ins-and-outs of the recruiting process. We then met our SYAs (second-year advisors) for dinner. After dinner, we met up with some other SYAs and their groups. I met somebody I hadn’t yet and ended up talking to that person for two hours. When I looked at my watch, it was a little past midnight. It was time for me to go home because the next day was going to be a busy one.

Thursday was “SOM in the City” day. We met at the school and loaded up onto buses. We headed to Union Station and took over the last four cars of a train heading to New York City. About two hours later, we were at the Yale Club in Midtown Manhatten. If you’ve never been to the Yale Club, see if the club offers tours. It’s really a stunning space. We had lunch there and heard Ranji Nagaswami speak. She is Vice Chairman and CIO of Alliance Bernstein Investment Management. She’s also an inspiring speaker and someone to emulate. After lunch, we went on our company visits. We then made our way to the New York Stock Exchange for a gala reception on the trading floor. Just being there made for a truly awesome experience.

On Friday night, some second-years decided to have a party on Mansfield street, which is where many SOMers live. They had two kegs and plenty of hard alcohol. They also hired the guy who runs a burrito cart in front of the SOM during lunch hour to bring his cart to their house and serve burritos to guests in the backyard. The theme of the party was eighties/early 90’s and many of my classmates dressed up. “Livin’ On A Prayer” by Bon Jovi was the best song selected for the event. But the best thing about the event was having so many second-years there. I was impressed at how happy they were to see each other and to be back at school. They seemed very confident. Will the class of 2008 make the same observations about me and my classmates next August? I hope so.

Orientation lasted two weeks. This may seem like a long time, but I can honestly say that I have never felt more prepared for anything. Classes start on Wednesday and I already have homework that needs to get done. The professor who led our case-study discussion on Monday described the first year at SOM as “boot camp” because there’s a lot to learn and not a lot of time in which to learn it. These two weeks have exposed us to a lot. It was “Go! Go! Go!” from 8 a.m. to midnight (7 p.m. for the less social among us, of which there were not many) every day. But we all survived, just as we will this year.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dinesh said...

Hey JB,

Nice blog! Been following for a while now. Am a Yale SOM applicant. May I email you on this ? Can't seem to find you email-id though :P

You can drop me a message at dh.dinesh AT gmail DOT com

Sunday, August 28, 2005 8:27:00 PM  
Blogger Paa"ji" said...

JB, some great insight about Yale SOM..... I like how things have been going...hope I can make to to something like this... so intense... so fulfilling...keep us posted

Sunday, August 28, 2005 10:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home