Sunday, December 11, 2005

The Midterm Awards

Immediately after midterms this semester, I put this list together. I wrote it and left it as a draft in my folder, forgetting all about it. Tonight, I came across it again. So before the semester is up – and as a timely nod to final exams – I present my own mini Midterm Awards!

The award for Best Answer goes to . . .

The student on the Finance exam whose full answer to the candy tiaras problem was simply, “Are you kidding me?!” (Note: This question took most first-years anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes to solve.)

The award for Most Redundant Request goes to . . .

It’s a tie!

The student in the Monday night Finance review session who interrupted the TA to ask him if he could do an example of the example he was already doing.

The one Finance question that asked us to calculate the NPV of a growing annuity three times and an annuity once.

The award for Most Annoying TA goes to . . .

The TA in the Sunday night Econ review session whose answer to almost every problem was, “Does everyone see that? Good.” Or, loosely translated based on tone, “This is really easy. Do you see how smart I am?”

Actually, this describes almost every TA. So you’re all winners!

The award for Best Clarifying Question goes to . . .

The student who asked the Finance TAs during the exam to clarify how long college lasted, which prompted one of the TAs to walk into every exam room and write on the board, “College = 4 years.”

The award for Most Difficult Exam goes to . . .

Finance! Professor Cohen made this exam several times more difficult than the one that first-years were given last year, even though he assured us that this year’s exam would be easier. Congratulations on your award, Professor! Now all you have to do is make sure that first-years never find out what kind of car you drive. . . . Just kidding! We all know you’re not old enough to drive.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jerry Blank said...

Thanks for reading the blog.

I would rather not say who I am. But I do welcome feedback/comments, so please feel free to post your remarks here.

Good luck on finals!

Monday, December 12, 2005 4:35:00 PM  
Blogger Jerry Blank said...

Thanks, som. I appreciate it.

I'm mostly concerned about Econ and Finance. Why did they schedule these exams back-to-back . . . AGAIN?!?! Grrrr.

It sounds like you're pretty confident about Finance. Wish I could be. :)

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 12:04:00 PM  
Blogger Jerry Blank said...

Ty -

Yeah, business school is pretty challenging and I've considered discontinuing the blog. Unfortunately, there isn't anyone here who has blogged through the full two years and I feel that some sort of record of what these years were like would be helpful to future applicants. More importantly, I want a record of what happened. How else am I going to properly wax nostalgic five/ten years from now? LOL.

I hope you keep up with the blog. You have a very unique voice and we all benefit from it.

Cheers!

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 12:08:00 PM  
Blogger Keven said...

The mean on our mid-term finance exam was 42%. I'm expecting the final to be lower.

I hate finance.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 9:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home