Saturday, December 17, 2005

Brokeback Mountain

I took a completely undeserved break from studying for finals by going to see a movie last night. I knew I was going to see "Brokeback Mountain" but had never heard of the movie prior to its being suggested as the evening's viewing entertainment. It wasn't until I got in the car and asked, "Hey, what's this movie about anyway?" that I realized how out-of-touch I've been with the outside world. A movie about gay ranch hands? WHAT?!

People, this movie is brilliant. I knew I couldn't do it justice, so I went online a few minutes ago to search for reviews. One reviewer described the story as "achingly sad." Another, as a "heartbreaking yet oddly universal story of two gay cowboys in love." It's simply the best movie I've seen in a long, long time.

GO SEE IT!

P.S. One article I read had a disturbing quote. "Dick Rolfe of the Dove Foundation, which encourages production of family-friendly films, cautioned: 'If Christians protest too loudly, they can end up making the mistake of calling attention to a movie that otherwise may not do very well at the box office. We have to be very careful not to use our anger strategies to a point where they boomerang on us.'" Anger strategies? Am I the only one who finds this disturbing?

2 Comments:

Blogger Jerry Blank said...

LOL. I wish I could help you out Tizzer. If it's any comfort, I, too, received a follow-up email from my interviewer last year immediately after interviewing (I mean, like, within 2 hours - I didn't even have time to make it back to where I was staying in NYC before he sent it.) Anyway, three weeks later, I got the call. Not everybody gets the interviewer letter, so it must mean you did something right. I'm not trying to get your hopes us (lest they be dashed), but it's clear that you put your best foot forward. Whether you get in or not, you did your best. I am seriously rooting for you. I hope you make it.

Monday, December 19, 2005 9:35:00 PM  
Blogger Jerry Blank said...

Too funny! Thanks Tammi!!!

Monday, March 06, 2006 10:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home