Friday, May 12, 2006

First Year, Finished

My first year of business school came to an end on Tuesday. What a ride. After a difficult beginning, it feels good to have done so well in the end. I even got a Distinction, but I was definitely a question mark there for a while. It’s funny how business school can completely destroy your confidence, only to build it back up again. Not funny “ha ha ha,” but funny “hmmm.”

Second years are on a cruise and most first years have left New Haven. I’m still here, but only for a few more days. Then it’s off to New York and the (not so) arduous life of an intern. I kind of wish I had studied law now. Friends of mine who are earning their JD’s are making twice as much per week as I am. Of course, when they actually start their real jobs at these firms they’ll be working 80 hour weeks, while I am looking at a comfortable 40 – 50 hour week. But I digress. . . .

It’s a tremendous relief to be heading into my second year. I’m halfway towards my MBA!

2 Comments:

Blogger Keven said...

He didn't want to be a lawyer.

Do you think they do that on purpose so that you don't come out as too arrogant but you do have confidence in your ability to overcome adversity.

Our first semester was much harder than the second one and it's obviously intentional.

Sunday, May 14, 2006 12:25:00 PM  
Blogger Jerry Blank said...

Ariyan - I have a number of reasons for wanting to get an MBA. I recommend reading through this blog and others to get a sense of why people choose to pursue this degree. And if you still have questions, feel free to email me.

Keven - I think you're right. It is about knocking you down a few notches. Lord knows I've eaten more than my fair share of humble pie since coming here. But it's also a matter of necessity. Different people are coming in with different experiences and you have to bring everyone up to the same basic level of knowledge quickly. That's hard to do in a relatively pain-free way. I'm just glad I'll never have to go through this again!

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 11:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home