Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Math Camp, HERE I COME!

By now, it should be pretty obvious that my quantitative skills leave something to be desired. I managed to demonstrate my ineptitude once again. This time, in a simple online math assessment required by the school.

There were only a handful of questions that had to be answered within a 30 minute window. I got off to a very slow start, however, when I decided that the calculations for the first question would best be performed in Excel. It took a while for Excel to launch. When it did, I kept making typing errors. So the first question took about 15 minutes for me to answer. (It probably would have taken 2 minutes in my head. Grrrr.) It took me an additional 13 minutes to answer all of the other questions.

When I looked at my results, I noticed that I finished in the bottom 8% of test-takers. So 92% of my classmates did better than I did?!

Shortly after completing the exam, my sister called. I told her about my performance on the test. I don't know if it was my score or the fact that I found it disappointing, but she really had fun with it, calling me "Math Camp" every chance she got.

That's okay. I'm determined to become a math whiz. That's what business school is for, right? To teach quantitatively-challenged former humanities majors how to work with numbers? I'm going to challenge myself to get a grade of "With Distinction" in at least one quant-heavy subject during my first year. I will not be the poster child of b-school math flunkies. The nickname, "Math Camp," is going to sound really ironic two years from now. Oh, wait. It already does.

1 Comments:

Blogger Keven said...

Who knows, Math Camp may be fun. Like Space Camp except with fewer simulated trips on Space Shuttles and more quadratic equations

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 9:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home