Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Financial Concerns

The reality of my situation has finally set in - I need MONEY!

The scholarship I received and a federal loan will cover my tuition. Thank God! Now all I have to worry about is the money I will need for textbooks, rent, food, and health insurance.

I contemplated working on a contractual basis, doing design work for the company I am with now. My reasoning was that I could surely devote at least 10 hours per week to work, especially since I would be able to pick and choose projects and work whenever I had the time. As long as I met the company's deadlines, I would be able to manage it. Plus, I could charge a high hourly rate for my expertise. This meant minimum effort, maximum profit, and no additional debt.

After asking around, I came to the conclusion that this was a bad idea. As a co-worker of mine put it: "It's not as though you'll be coming home from class and thinking to yourself, 'Okay. I can take a nap or I can read that case study.' You'll be coming home and thinking, 'Okay. I can read that case study, finish that cover letter, write that thank you letter, do my statistics homework, or attend that networking event.'"

I have been assured that the second year is much easier than the first. Unfortunately, that's little consolation when resigning yourself to an additional $22,000 of debt, not including interest.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jerry Blank said...

Thanks, EMC.

I know, this is definitely a problem that a number of people would really like to have. While I am a little stressed out at the moment, I remain very grateful for what I have received.

Good luck with your finances and have fun at Cornell!

Thursday, May 26, 2005 7:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home