Saturday, February 12, 2005

B-School Forum on businessweek.com

I am really astonished by some of the things I read on this forum.

A few of the people who post on this forum seem capable of reason. But the vast majority strike me as petty and/or ignorant.

There's a poster that goes by HBomb05, for instance, who claims that Harvard is number one and that anyone who attends any other business school is just pretending to study business. This is so ridiculous I don't even know where to start.

"Fit" is more important than "brand." I know too many MBAs who found this out the hard way. Additionally, the school you choose is not as important as the kind of person/professional you are and what you have accomplished in your career. A high emotional IQ will take you farther than a high IQ alone. I don't deny that having Harvard or Stanford on your resume will generate some interest; but your prior work experience and ability to play well with others are the factors that will ultimately land you a job. I know I'm not the only one who gets this, but I feel as though I am often in the minority on the forum.

BTW, if one more person on the forum suggests the mass consumption of alcoholic beverages as a way to soften the blow of a ding or to celebrate an acceptance, I may totally lose it. The occasional drink is fine, but anyone who advises others to "get drunk" is either 1) trying to sound cool, which only serves to show how un-cool he/she really is; or 2) an alcoholic.

Also, I would like to propose that the words, "dude" and "mate," never again be allowed to appear in the forum.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home